Monday, September 28, 2015

so big

Hi Maggie,

I ran out to see the eclipse before I went to bed.  I saw the last sliver of bright.  I stood for a moment and felt it.  Niece's chihuahua barked at it - a lot.  He's quite the watchdog! Then I went to bed. Ah, the realities of getting up at 5:00!

Of course, as soon as the house was dark and quiet, the older cat started harassing the younger one.  I had to get up, and discover that the older cat scared the old dog so much the dog peed all over the floor. Not the first time.

Today the old cat is sitting on my desk, pretending that she loves me - just to be an a** to the young one. 

Kids leave, but the drama continues!

I had my granddaughter today, and just after dinner, it was raining a little as the sun broke through the lowest clouds.  I thought,  "Rainbow!" and we went running out in the rain.  The sun was a little too low, though.  As we were coming back in, I looked up and saw where I watched the eclipse last night, and suddenly thought,  "We were looking at ourselves. I was part of that shadow..."

My strange thoughts of the day.

I would be worried about someone coming after your house, your family, your sons.  The violence of the drug world seems to be real and scary.  Somehow your sons need to learn that they have the right to be stupid and dangerous and look for lessons for themselves, but they don't have the right to bring you into it.  The don;t have the right to bring it into your home.

This is when you pray for them to make it to age 25, for the onset of adult thinking!  I prayed that a lot!  I have one more to go, but she's doing well.  Now that she seems to have learned the lesson about abusive men, her lessons seem smaller and gentler.

When I woke up this morning, I expected the whole world to be different. The eclipse must have been powerful.

I read an article in Salon magazine today which explored the continuing theme of rape in religion.  It listed all the Greek and Roman myths with the gods raping and imprisoning women.  Then it looked at Mary, who did not consent until she was already pregnant. There is a consistent lack of saying yes to sex...rape.   I listened to a  TED talk this weekend about sexual violence being a man's problem. It all ties together.  It is so big, I feel like I can't even see it.  Which, I suppose is the point. If we can't quite see it, we can't quite name the monster, then we don't know what to fight!

Hope all is well with you and yours...

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment