Monday, September 7, 2015

find the true query

Hi Maggie,

I also love the feeling of belonging. It creeps up occasionally when I least expect it.  I have found it is a very quiet place.  When I try to belong, it is not quiet.  I am over-thinking, ill-at-ease.

My granddaughter and I have an ongoing joke.  I ask,  "What's the rule for belonging to this family?"  And she always answers, "You have to be weird."  Refusing to conform has become a bit of a family standard.  I like the idea that it is dangerous and revolutionary!

I saw a  meme today, featuring the woman who started the Grey Panthers.  She said old age is the time to be outrageous, and she vowed to be outraged or outrageous at least once a week.  Maybe we should make a pact.

For us, with education, unschooling, except for Saxon Math, we really didn't use curricula.  We followed passions.  That gave us all the variety we could possibly need.  We called in outsiders, we took classes, we read, we took courses. It was so exhilarating.

For me, an RE teacher is only with the kids for one hour a week, during meeting. It is so different that being a FAP...and I just realized I am off on a tangent...Who should be court mandated reporters?  That is the key question here.  I have such mixed feelings because I have seen DSS do some horrible things.  And I have a basic mistrust of anything governmental.  I wish it was not the government we had to report to.  I have also seen nuisance calls to DSS, getting back at someone...which led to bad things for the kids.

I don't think I have a problem with reporting. I have a problem with who we are forced to report to...

I know I was very upset when asked to sign a form stating I would not abuse the kids in a youth program. I was there as a supporting adult.  An abuser would sign, knowing that was the way to get close to the kids.

None of this is authentic.  I know this is the stupid answer, but we need to be part of community. Within true community, with true connections and awareness, child abuse is not such a secret. And it does not have to happen - because there is support and nurture and someone to help. Reporting to DSS will not lead to community.  It will only further destroy community.

As Friends, we do have to be brave enough to do something.  So, if we choose not to be listed as court mandated reporters, what will we do instead?

We have to do something.  This may be the query to take before Friends.

I like vegetables.  A lot. And I am willing to try any vegetable.  So far, there's only one vegetable I have ever, ever found that I simply do not like.  Okra.  To me, it is bland and it is slimy.  These are two of my least favorite sensations. Together - yuck!  My son lived in North Carolina  when he did his apprenticeship. He said the deep fried okra was good.  But I don't eat deep fried foods, so I will never know!

I have my house pulled apart.  It is a mess here.  I am taking everything off shelves and cleaning, and probably moving them.  I guess I'm getting ready for winter.

I had the baby overnight, and we had a marvelously soaking time giving the dogs baths today.  As I was combing one, after her bath, I noticed she only had a few fleas near her tail.  The rest of her was clear - she has more problems with skin allergies than anything else.  I always thought fleas liked to congregate near the head because they used the eyes and lips as a source of fluid.  I wondered about hind-end fleas. Then my mind did the weird thing... and I wondered if the universe was a dog. Sometimes, resources seemed very far away.  But sometimes the dog curled up to sleep and the tail was right there, nearby.  Maybe worm-holes are just sleepy dogs.

So that's where my mind is today!

It is quiet, I have lots to do...later, little sister!

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment