Friday, September 4, 2015

Me too...

Hi Maggie,

Just for fun, I checked for ethically made computers.  There are none. Of the 20 possible points for being ethically made, no laptop ranks above 10.  My pc ranks 4.5.  I didn't choose it or buy it.  I worked for someone who then ordered it and had it sent to me.  Nonetheless, I am also guilty of supporting this slave culture.

One thing about not having much money is that it is easier not to buy things.  Each purchase is a decision. It's a pain, but I think maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

I have been reading more about the slave labor that goes into producing electronics.  I can see the problems. But if I stretch my mind a little, I see my own slavery.  If I didn't have this pc, I would not be able to do my job.  Without a job, I would be homeless.  I have to do as my corporation says I must.  I do not shake the tree much, because - without a job I would be homeless.  So many of us are so close to homeless.

Somehow I think we are supposed to live on slavery, but not see it.  It pollutes our life, this interwoven pain, but we don't know what is wrong...

One piece of advice I saw while reading about ethically made products was to buy used.  I understood that about cars years ago. If we buy new car, the manufacturers are stimulated to make more.  If we buy used - I don't think that is true. Also, driving a new car off the lot lowers its value - it is no longer new.  The same is not true when we drive a two year old car off the lot.

I buy used a lot.  Most of my clothes are from second hand shops. I don't think I have any new furniture in my house.  Not much of anything - not pots or pans, not plates or silver...

Maybe I should sing a rousing verse of Second Hand Rose!

But buying used changes the economy, in ways that I want it to change.  Plus most items are in my price range.  Win-win!!

I also boycott Nestle. I have been doing that since 1982.  I boycott Monsanto, too.

It's late. I'm tired.  But I have a three day weekend...

Love and hugs to you and the dog and everyone else in the family!!

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment