Thursday, February 13, 2014

Despair is followed by...?

The other big deal with getting the pan was getting the extra crumbs that dropped off the other pieces of pie. Just one more little thing to bicker over.  I think we spent a lot of time struggling for status. Any bit of attention was enough.

I have been thinking about Peaceable Kingdom today. And the quote about the lion lying down with the lamb.  I think it alludes to a time or a possibility of little violence, or perhaps no violation.

I am very concerned about the fracking going on in the northeast.  Today I saw a photo of a fracked area.  It was lined and outlined with a maze of pipes.  I had the impression of a massive sucker draining the Earth.  Just ripping all the life-force out of her.  Violation.

I discussed nuclear power with someone from a different country today.  Discussed the fact that it is touted as clean energy...just ignore the fact that we don't know what to do with the nuclear waste.  I am still angry at Reagan.  One of the first laws he passed, to be enacted 10 years after passage, stated that the people had to take title to nuclear waste.  Really?  And that each state had to create it's own solution.  The people fought back in New York, and so the state created a "temporary" solution- 25 years ago.  The people thought they won, but really the state did...We can't keep up.  It's not moral.

And...and...and what really makes me mad is that the CEO of Monsanto eats organic food. He won't eat his own GMO fooodstuffs.  But the pollen from his corn is polluting everything. And his grandchildren will not have the luxury of avoiding GMOs.  So either he doesn't give a f*** about his grandchildren or he's a moron.  I can't believe he could possibly be that stupid.  So he must just not care.  He must not have the ability.  I don't know what else it could be.

I'm on a roll.  Today I saw a photo of a dog in a shelter, sitting with her face in the corner. The photo embodied the despair I have been feeling.  It really touched my soul.  I wanted to go to a shelter and find a dog who had no hope and bring it home.  I wanted her, but she's in another part of the country.  Damn, I heard a story about a 9 year old, underfed, overmatted poodle in Spain. and I wanted to rescue her...And the murdered giraffe in Denmark, and poisoned elephants that interfere with OUR palm plantations...My soul is wailing, but what can we do except sign petitions and bring Emilies into our homes and let these dogs know they are safe.

What is wrong with us?  Why are we so callous?  Somehow dumping our dogs at the shelter seems to be equivalent to polluting the world with GMO pollen. There's a breach in us.  Something is broken. And it hurts like hell...

I think you are right.  We are rushing toward extinction.  We all want to do something to help, but not if it means giving up electricity or warm running water or our Smartphones or television.  We feel entitled even though we know it's not sustainable...that is part of the break within, part of our societal schizophrenia.

So I'm feeling angry and hopeful and that another way is possible.  But I don't know how to jump over the ever-widening breach between this sick society and simplicity and health...

I just found out my county has been dumping fracking brine on the roads to melt snow.  We are doomed by those who are blinded by money...

At last my despair has voice tonight...

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment