Sunday, February 23, 2014

Checking in-ish

Saw some photos of the THON.  Looks like you daughter is still smiling.  Way to go, girl!!

I have had a lot going on all weekend.  Watched grandkids, time with middle child, dinner with friends.  I have two old, old friends - I've known each of them for 15 years.  And they have known each other, aside from knowing me. They decided we should all start getting together, along with another friend they have each known for a long time, but I met about a year ago when we started trying to get together once a month.  So all of these independent connections coalesced.

So last night we met for Vietnamese food and talk.  And as always, I left with a lot to mentally chew on.

In our conversation, I said we live in a rape culture.  One man who is progressive and open minded and extremely peaceful said we had a problem with our culture, maybe it more than a rape culture.  I tried to explain that rape is about disempowerment.  It's about someone more powerful controlling you, using you, taking your choices.

I think I have this concept fairly well developed now.  I think I can make sense when I explain this.

Everyone asked about my kids. The newest person, for me, has only met my youngest and her babe.  He really likes both of them and everyone asks.  But last night the people who have known my and my children longest talked a little about how great my kids are, how much they have grown up, how much they miss them.  And they made me feel proud.  I had a moment of,  "I created this."  I created the family culture.  We're not perfect, but we're okay.

Looking or ward to hearing Thon-reports!

Love and support,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment