Saturday, November 3, 2012

Rescue Me!

Me again (Clare)

I think I am discharging some more distress...very emotional, which is a gift.

My college sweetheart has remained my dear friend, and is one of the gifts in my life.  This morning he sent me a short video about a cowering, blind dog hiding in a pile of rags being rescued.  I had seen it before, everyone knows I am a sucker for dog stories.  But this morning I cried.  I saw myself in that dog.

I saw myself hiding on this hill, camouflaged by trees and distance.  I recognized the hopelessness - yet the hope.  The dog was so terrified she peed and sat in it, afraid to move, afraid to hope.  Yet she allowed herself to be rescued, went along willingly with the source of kindness that lifted her from her nest of rags.

I cried as they groomed her.  I cried as the doctor treated her blindness and brought vision in one eye.  I cried when I saw the dog playing - you could see her joy.  Dogs believe.  If you are kind, so often they still believe in love.  It's only the most severely abused who give up all hope and lash out.

My youngest says I torture myself by reading about dogs that need rescued.  I do this almost daily.  Today I read about a 6 month old pup who has been chained outside for months.  I emailed and asked about it.  The person who responded said he is not good with cats, so they don't think my home is a good fit.  But this is a first - the first time I have reached out for a dog since my husky died a year ago...something is melting in me.  You know how it stings and aches when cold fingers start to warm?  That's how my soul feels today.  Walking through the pain...I think I will have to sing to soothe my soul!

I love you and hope you are having a productive day!!

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment