Monday, November 19, 2012

Abundance

So, the holiday is going to be challenging...
I have invited a good friend...who is estranged from her family...she is busy.
I have extended invitations to several young women that I know (with dysfunctional families)...
I hope that they consider sharing the evening with us.
I have extended an invitation to my brother-in -law's family...still waiting to hear their reply...
most likely it will be just the 6 of us.
It's amazing that such an intense effort goes into one meal...but then realizing that we are celebrating the abundance of the harvest makes it all understandable.

The family dynamics are universal...
my oldest frequently chastises my youngest...telling him he is rude and insensitive...
all the time showing her insensitivity.
So why do you think your oldest is being judgemental of her sister?
Could she be envious?

I like the image that the swamp is earth and water mixed without discernible boundaries...
that means it is possible to settle them out with time, work and patience.
I feel as if I haven't allowed myself in or near the swamp recently...
I am allowing the distractions to take me away from the work.

How was your weekend? I hope that you had fun with your wine and dine.

As for the children and spoiling...
I don't believe that respect and valuing humans is spoiling to them...
I believe that is called nurturing...
having one person who treats you as worthy of love makes mountains of trauma survivable.
It was the lack of connection in our home was probably one of the factors that made all of us end up so isolated and self-contained...
We had no trouble breaking away from the family because we never really felt as if we were included or wanted...
I do have to wonder though that there is something that makes us want those ties...
Even to the point that some recreate memories...
rewriting our young lives to make them seem normal and happy
It reminds me of something that Erma Bombeck wrote..."Family...the ties that bind... and gag!"
It's probably a universal desire to belong...
one of those instincts that draw us into cooperative living...
the basis of community.

I really believe that we would be a much better society if we invested in families and children...
instead of focusing most resources on adults...
who, for the most part are already scarred and in various stages of life and healing.
It makes no sense to me that insurance will cover the cost of  'respite care' for hospice family members, but no one covers the cost of babysitting or supporting families with young children...one of the most universally demanding periods of time for humans.
Why do we invest millions in the dying and then blame the living for not doing it right? I am not saying that cancer families don't deserve support...I am just pointing out the inequity.
Why don't we trust in the abundance?
Why don't we respect life at all ages...
not just once it's productive...
and then it's unevenly distributed to the haves and have nots...
Sorry rhetorical questions again.

I have to get to my homework...
Blessings 'til tomorrow,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment