Saturday, November 10, 2012

cherish the children

First we have to remember that this was the 50-60's...
breastfeeding was not acceptable...
science and doctors knew better than our own body.
I do wonder what Mom meant about being harsh...
I remember her being frazzled but not harsh...
In F-burg she came up almost every night and paddled us with the ping pong paddle because the 4 of us wouldn't settle down...I never figured that one out...but fatigue can make people do strange things.

I will look into constipation and abuse or even harsh toilet training and later issues...I haven't seen anything in my reading, but then again I wasn't looking.
We were born into a very different society...
one that barely tolerated children...
and only because they would eventually become adults.
Kids were not valued as they are now, or when we had our children...
I cherish my children...from the moment I was aware of their existence I wanted nothing but the best for them.
I wish I had been valued half as much.
I remember feeling as if no one noticed if I was around...
except when I was falling asleep at the dinner table...or making too much noise after bed time...
Anyway...I can't change the past...just learn the lessons that I lived through...and try to use that knowledge to prevent the same types of occurrences in the present or future.
It's funny though, even though kids seem to be valued much more now, there is still a staggering amount of child abuse and neglect in our society...so maybe we still have a long way to go.

I am trying to be thankful for my blessings today...
my kids were all together today...
and no one fought....every one's healthy...
I was able to order a small organic turkey so that we can all share a Thanksgiving dinner in a week and a half...

Thank you for the tears we shed at life's greatest times...
the tears of joy as each child is born,
the tears of pain as our heart is torn,
the tears of sorrow at a death we mourn,
the tears of promise as a love is sworn.
(from Thanksgiving)

Have a good night...
Love and Blessings, Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment