Saturday, November 10, 2012

Do we value children?

What percentage of our generation, do you suppose, was constipated?  Do you think our experience is exceptional?  I think we were victims of the 50's and 60s, but I think this goes deeper.

I read something once, and as usual, I don't remember the source, but I remember the gist.  During eras when children were seen as separate - when childhood was a separate time, and children wore clothes specific to childhood, children were valued more and treated better.   In eras when children appear to be small versions of adults, they are commodities, they are belongings, but they are not precious and valued.  Specifically mentioned  were the Tudor era in Britain, and the Pilgrims/Puritans.

Exhibit 1 - Toddlers in Tiaras.  We are not in a time period where we cherish the children.  We are in an era when children are nuisances and bothers as children - only valuable as sex objects or mini adults.  As a homeschooling mom, I was asked repeatedly how I could stand to be around them all day long.  And as a mom who goes as far as necessary for your kids, I am sure there have been people who questioned you also.  What I think you are perceiving is that in our family, in our generation, we have valued and protected our children, we have loved each as an individual and we have sensed the joy they bring to our lives, much much more than has ever happened before in this family line.

In addition to not valuing children, we also do not value mothers or parenting.

If we valued children, if their well-being was of any concern, mothers would not be separated from their infants for over 8 hours a day beginning at the age of 6 weeks.  Six weeks is a key time for establishing the breastfeeding relationship.  That is inhumane, and we are the cruelest of western countries in this regard.  If we valued children, they would be breastfed and in arms.  

I never knew Mom hit you girls nightly.  I knew how to be quiet and hide, so I missed everything. I went to my room with a book - I read a book almost every day.  Usually I read young adult romances, where in the end somebody loved the lonely or depressed heroine.  The books gave me an escape into unreality.  Maybe I still live there!!

Back to considering today, children wear the same clothes the adults, especially young adults do.  They wear sexy clothes - jeans and camisoles or tight yoga pants.  I don't see pinafores or overalls and braids.  I do know a 6 year old with a streaked bob.  We sexualize them to give them value, because it is the only value we seem to perceive in this sick culture.  Everyone and everything is a commodity.

I am glad you are different. I am glad you are treasuring today.  I am glad that your kids are not fighting - they sort of outgrow that.  Mine still fight occasionally, but it's so much more civilized now!!

I am a loose ends...not quite sure what to do with myself...

Love to you and your family...Clare


No comments:

Post a Comment