Saturday, November 10, 2012

Constipated brain

So I was up in the middle of the night...thinking.  Why were we constipated?  Were we constipated?  Was this Mom trying to control us or expecting us to be absolutely normal?  Did she panic if we didn't "go" regularly?  Were our intestines damaged by the foods we were given?

I breastfed each of mine for an extended period.  They all had bowel movements several times a day - except the last.  She would go every two to three days.  But she was breastfed, so I knew she was not constipated.  I never resorted to enema, which I believe should be last resort.  I always worry about destroying the natural flora of the intestine.  With my last, as she began to eat solids, I experimented with which foods would keep her regular.  I emphasized whole grains and she was fine.  She has learned to take care of her own body - plenty of water, plenty of whole grains.

Why am I different?

Back to our childhood...were we constipated? or were we being forced to evacuate our bowels on someone else's schedule? or was Mom repeating was what done to her?  Or repeating some version of what was done to her?

We lived with Grammy when you were an infant.  When we moved into our own home, it was during the summer after your first birthday.  So if Grammy was taking care of your bowel habits, it had to be that period when you were 5 or 6 months to 17 months old.

When restrained, I have the sense that I can't move my feet, my legs are immobilized...that is the major feeling.

One more thing I remember, which is only peripherally connected.  Mom had 9 kids in 10 years.  She decided she would not have more than two in diapers at one time.  She said once that she wished she hadn't been so harsh with B#1 in order to force him through potty training.  Do you remember Mom being harsh?

-Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment