Wednesday, January 20, 2016

voices all the time

Clare,

Those voices inside our heads can get pretty loud and insistent…
Not enough…
not good enough…
not pretty enough…
not smart enough…
not doing enough…
not feminine enough…
not BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!

"Voices" (song by Chris Young)

You could say I'm a little bit crazy
You could call me insane
Walkin' 'round with all these whispers
Runnin' 'round here in my brain

I just can't help but hear 'em
Man, I can't avoid it
I hear voices
I hear voices like

My dad sayin', "Work that job
But don't work your life away"
And mama tellin' me to drop some cash
In the offerin' plate on Sunday

And granddad sayin', "You can have a few
But don't ever cross that line"
Yeah, I hear voices all the time

Turns out I'm pretty dang lucky
For all that good advice
Those hard-to-find words of wisdom
Holed up here in my mind

And just when I've lost my way
Or I've got too many choices
I hear voices
I hear voices like

My dad sayin', "Quit that team
And you'd be a quitter for the rest of your life"
And mama tellin' me to say a prayer
Every time I lay down at night

And grandma sayin', "If you find the one
You better treat her right"
Yeah, I hear voices all the time

Sometimes I try to ignore 'em
But I thank God for 'em
'Cause they made me who I am

I wish we could all hear positive voices like the lyrics of this song. Voices that build us from the inside rather than reinforce our need to self-loath and self-doubt.

I counsel people to first notice them, then begin to stop them as soon as they recognize the "tape" is playing. It is a pre-recorded message meant to not allow us to get "too big for our britches"! I am forever stumped why the good, positive messages fade away, and these remain crisp, clear and powerful. Eventually I ask people to contradict them out loud…preferably into a mirror.

I've always believed that a person must love themselves to be in true relationship. I wonder if relationship can grow from a respect of the other's perspective of us? Does their love and acceptance make us lovable? Interesting question.

I have finished Ishmael and The Story of B…
what a paradigm shift. I will never look at the world, people, and biblical history in the same way. I am changed. Thanks for sending The Story of B…I will share it with my friend who told me about Ishmael.

I am not feeling well tonight…
achey,
a little nauseated,
Not myself.
I think I'm going to lay on the couch and see what happens.

I should hear about the new job on Friday. Tomorrow the board of directors votes on the proposal. Hold this in the Light…please.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie




No comments:

Post a Comment