Tuesday, December 1, 2015

what do we do??

Hi Maggie,

My cold worsened overnight. I woke up not able to speak...I could just croak.  I worked for an hour and a half then contacted my manager and asked to be released from the rest of my schedule for the day; except for the brainstorming session.  I whispered my way through that, and it went so well, we extended to double the original time allowed.  I really felt listened to.

I spent the day mostly not talking.  I had the baby, who is also developing congestion.  She slept a lot.  I should have joined her, but instead, I have been knitting.

So S#3 fits the mold of a survivor of an abusive/neglectful childhood.  What would you do for a client with her patterns?  I know things changed for me after I made the decision to call her regularly after her suicide attempt.  She taught me that when someone in our family is quiet, something bad is happening. She made me see the pattern in my life. When I need help the most, I go as far underground as I can get. I get myself completely off the radar.

Things are changing. Talks at the sisters weekend on the island led to more transparency in our lives, and the assurance of love and acceptance.

What do we do?

I can't make her come up here alone.  Maybe some weekend you could bring her and then she could leave her car for her daughter.  Two-against-one sister bullying!  But, I always have the sense that you are so incredibly busy, that it seems like an intrusion to even ask..

 I hope all goes well with the oncologist. I know it will go well with your Reiki healer.

You know, except for my frenetic knitting, it doesn't really feel like Christmas yet.  I think I learned not to get excited. I remember reading a book about Christmas - Next Year Will Be Better by Maeve Binchy.  I think I always had that in mind...the ideal of a perfect Christmas.  But it has never happened.  And so I have learned to accept that whatever is supposed to happen will happen, and to be open to that.  I don't feel much anticipation, but I enjoy the times that we celebrate together. 

Maybe I'm just getting old.

I was asked to edit papers written by a foreign doctoral student.  I think my French and violin have just been put on hold.  Actually, I put my violin away before S#3 got here, and haven't gotten it back out yet...I've been a bit more faithful about my French...until now.

Felling tired, so I'm going to call it a night early...

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment