Saturday, December 19, 2015

omissions

Clare,
OMG…
we are brainwashed!
We don't care how oppressed we are, because we are told how great life is. We can see those "suffering" women in the middle east- forced to fully cover their bodies…but we have no idea how unequal US women really are.

All we can do is continue to educate ourselves and each other and demand change. It's a slow process.
I spent a lot of years in a male dominated profession and was never paid what the men were- except in residency.
Once I started searching for a position the salaries were always less than my male counterparts…
and they'd ask about my intentions of having children…
Mommy-track questions, which are illegal.
Why is equality such a difficult reality?
It should be very simple…
simpler than power hierarchies…
why?

But,
I am as guilty as the next person.
My Integrate concept includes only women…
at least in the planning stages.
The concept in my mind doesn't include men.
That doesn't mean I'd exclude them…
but I think in terms of like-ness…
sharing common experiences…
bringing our female-ness to the table.

I have to think about that omission.

Making cookies today!
Quaker pageant tomorrow…My Meeting celebrates Christmas, which really isn't very Quakerly.
Then I'm meeting S#3 and a friend to see my daughter's Christmas Follies show. It's a great weekend!
Enjoy yours.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment