Monday, October 6, 2014

socialized

Hello!

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.  I was also wondering if your youngest had even an inkling about what is about to hit him. I have had so many arrogant moments where I thought I knew what was happening.  I have found that the Creator uses those moments to teach...to TEACH.  I hope your son opens his heart and learns.

When you talked about the balance between isolation and exposure - it's not only for the kids, but also for the caretaking parent...

I don't understand this need, this push, to socialize kids.  I heard it the whole time I was homeschooling - what about their socialization???  That was their dad's major stated objection to taking them out of the school.  Institutionally socialized kids are obedient.  They ask permission to go to the bathroom.  They are not allowed to take care of their bodily needs without permission. They only socialize with kids their own ages.  Adults are so busy, they don't intervene as long as kids are quiet.  I was appalled by what I saw in the public schools when I subbed.  The kids are vicious with the way they speak to each other.  And the adults are so inured, it sounds normal.

My kids learned to interact with people of all ages.  Homeschooled kids are simply not age bigots.  Isolating a child with same-aged peers is not human or humane socialization.  Play groups are great, but over 40 hours a week in a day care, in the institution is not healthy for the toddler psyche.

It breaks my heart...all the kids who are forced to go, all the parents who feel they have no choice...What are we losing as we hand our children to the institutions at such an early age?...that might be the most important question of all.

When I told S#3 you were in Arizona again, it was factual, followed by sympathy. But as I told her, I realized I did not have your permission to share this with the family.

Baby's crying...back tomorrow!!

Love from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment