Monday, October 20, 2014

autumn-dazed

I do pluck them. I am passing as "young" I guess.  Some aspects of menopause suck!  Those stray hairs are a biggie! I like bearded men, but I am afraid of having a better beard than they do!

I learned to use active listening first as a peer counselor, again in AVP and in RC. It is hard to simply listen, acknowledge and be present and to bite the tongue and keep silent.  Or to ask questions simply to clarify rather than to lead the speaker to a place that is comfortable for us.  It is so hard to disengage from dialog, where we more plan what we want to say than to listen.

But listening is a form of respect, of acknowledging the other's intelligence and wisdom.

I think we dialog, wait desperately for our turn to speak, that because we have not been listened to.  We are all desperate to be acknowledged and heard.  I honestly think the greatest gift we can give is the gift of attentive listening.  Sometimes I wonder how different the world could be, would be, if we just listened to each other. 

And sometimes I can be a good listener.  But other times, when I haven't had enough adult contact, I blather on and on, almost unable to shut up.

Good luck with the new job exploration.  If it's right, way will open!

We saw our first snowflakes yesterday. They melted before they hit the ground, but nevertheless, there was snow!  I am not ready for winter.  Winter means so much more work.  It is harder to take the dogs out.  I have to keep the fire going 24/7.  I wish I could borrow half the local library and simply hibernate.   The long nights and lack of sun make it all worse.

On the other hand, I do love winter.  I love those brilliantly blue days with low temperatures and crisp air, and blinding white drifts of snow. I'm not sure why I am complaining.

My mind is sort of autumn-dazed, I think...wandering amid the fallen gold and scarlet.  I'm not sure who I am or what I am doing.  So I'll go with that and see if I figure me out.

Looking forward to seeing you.  Talked to my best friend from college.  We'll see her this weekend too.  I may pass a message to S#4 and ask if I can invite my friend to her party.  Am I rude????  My older neighbor says it is very important for us to get photos of the five sisters together.  I hate it when she says things like that, but I always trust her.

As usual, I am tired.  I feel like I am leaving here without leaving anything profound...maybe tomorrow!

Love and hugs,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment