Wednesday, May 22, 2013

More questions

Those stories are heartbreaking...and have parallels in my life.
I remember lying in bed crying at night and not being reassured or comforted.
I remember being terrified, especially in the house on center street...believing that people had died up in the attic...and the graveyard next door was haunted...and I spent time in dark closets when Mom and Dad were away...I was too terrified to say anything because Dad would overreact to almost anything.
Did he lie and join the army before 18? I thought I remembered that being said before. Also how old was he when he was shot? 19?

I remember him returning from Viet Nam.
I saw a different car in the alley by our house and knew he was back...and I was scared.
I know people who rejoice when their family returns...
but I remember being so afraid that I wanted to hide.
I see the images of people rushing into each others arms and wonder how true those feelings are...
sure there's relief of their safe return...but they will have to learn to live with each other again...and there will be some very big differences in all concerned.

I remember once correcting him about the rotation of the moon...
he reacted so strongly, negatively to my comment...
accusing me of trying to make him look stupid for my own benefit...
I really think it was just an interesting point that I shared.
But, if he really was made to feel inferior, then that reaction makes sense.

I wonder how he felt about Mom's natural intelligence and her siblings being so smart/educated. Do you think that's why he controlled her for so long? I always wondered why she let him control her to the extent that she did.

So we have baseball every evening this week, except Friday...
I will check in tomorrow...
I love you...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment