Friday, June 1, 2012

Martyrous Musing

Just a few last thoughts about enjoying the victim role, glorying in the victim role.  It is so hard to give up. (Probably more so for Catholic kids!)  I remember being at an Al Anon meeting and someone said that the situation that developed was half our faults - they were addressing the group.

Half my fault?  I was livid.  I fumed for days.  How dare they say it was my fault.  I was not an alcoholic.  Never.  I made everything work in our family.  How dare they.  (Classic enabler!)

After listening to me rant for a few minutes, a close friend quietly said. "If J. had married anyone else, their situation would be different.  The way things are now is because it was the two of you."

I could swallow that, wrap my poor brain around it and calm down.  She gave me space from the statement, so I could breathe, then ponder, then accept the role the martyr/victim plays in the situation.

I do think child victims are different though.  They have (you had) no power in the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment