Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bits and pieces of memories

The dream hasn't returned...I was afraid that would happen if I wrote it down. It will return when or if I need it again.

It is funny that you say I might have more perspective about Mom's family, even though I lived there for a few years (mostly at college) there wasn't alot of visiting.
I remember Great Aunts U and M...they reminded me of storks...long necks and legs...
my most vivid memory of them was at Grammy's funeral...
they climbed up, almost into the coffin to hug her...
right then and there I declared I would be cremated...no one was going to touch me after I was dead.
I remember Great Uncle P vaguely...
I remember Aunt R...very childlike.

I remember Uncle J had a house in the woods when he was dating or first married for the second time. I liked his second wife very much...she was kind and laughed...she also had long fingernails...longer than any one's I had ever seen...she said Uncle J liked them like that.
I remember her more than I do him.
Uncle J came to my wedding...I hadn't seen him in over 10 years and I didn't recognize him...
I assumed he was from my husband's side of the family...how embarrassing.
I didn't realize that he and his first wife were so unstable. I often wondered about their custody arrangement...the kids were split up.

Uncle G has always been a favorite...because he laughed and hugged all the time...of course he always had a drink and cigarette in his hands at the time.
He does have a close knit family... something that has intrigued me...so different from our own. I wonder what lies behind all of that....is everyone as content as they seem.
I believe that G and C had a short separation while I was living in that area. I remember hearing that C went back home. I think they reconciled pretty quickly though.
He once asked me to come to his house and we could start a business...he would castrate the animals and I would do vasectomies on the men.
I do find it funny that he passes himself off as Dr.G and talks to people about alternative health treatments...he is too smart for his own good.
I see alot of myself in him.

I remember how most of Mom's family were gathered when Aunt S was terminal. They were there for several weeks before she died. Uncle J came to the house and asked if we had a bible or prayer book and I gave him one that I had...he was so thankful for that book.

I need to take a night to catch fireflies...and look to the heavens for shooting stars.
Thanks for the inspiration...
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment