Sunday, June 10, 2012

Answering your rhetorical question

No, Maggie has not been silenced, or appeased, or shamed back into secrecy.
If I have learned one thing this year it is that I have the strength and vision to get out of this slime.
I don't want to leave my family of origin behind, but if that happens then so be it.

In my song, The Missing Peace, there's a line;
"If the request is to abandon it all, have I courage to answer that call? So afraid to give all that I know."
When I originally wrote that It said to give up all I love...but I changed it....very interesting choice.
After I wrote that song I gave up Catholicism...my marriage(temporarily)...and now may parents and siblings (present company excluded).
I remember praying one day, making the bold statement that if I was asked to give up my kids I was out...no longer playing this game...luckily that hasn't been requested.
I realize that you aren't a biblically inclined...
but Jesus did say that to truly follow you must give up your father, your mother, your siblings, etc.... I do find allegorical truth in many forms of sacred writings.

I believe that your question about B#2 living with B#1 was rhetorical...but I can't resist.
In my humble opinion it is a poor solution to his problems for many reasons.
First and foremost, research shows that addicts should not move in with family as family enables them, supports them without demanding real work.
I am not talking about S#5's issue that B#2 wouldn't get a job...
it is about going through the 12 steps...
He won't finish the 12 steps because, I believe that one of them is going to all of the people who you have harmed and apologizing...he'd have to actually admit that he abused us to do that.
it is about seeking professional counseling to find the core of the addiction, the reason for the self-abuse and coming to terms with all of the nuances of that.

When I was talking with the social workers in CA we were trying to arrange a sober living community that had all of the services he would require.
Once B#2 heard that family wanted him back 'home' he lost interest in a real solution.
What happens when B#1 asks him to leave because he breaches some part of their agreement?
He will be repeatedly rejected until he tries to harm himself again.
The highest risk predictor of a successful suicide is a previous suicide attempt. What will the reaction be if that happens?
With our siblings and parents he is rewarded and encouraged to avoid diving deep, avoid the painful memories, deny truth...
all of that takes a tremendous toll on a person's psyche.
The addiction is not gone, even if he hasn't drank or used in months.
B#2 lost this window of opportunity to heal because the family swooped in...
they did a saintly thing by bringing him 'home' and caring for him...
what about really caring about him...
enough to go through the painful memories and traverse hell and coming out the other side beside him.
When he wrote that sarcastic email, I am sad to say that I did nothing except wonder what set him off.
After the suicide attempt I did speak with him several times...
we talked about his options...
After he came back 'home' I haven't heard from him. I have called, texted, emailed, and facebooked with no reply...I sent him the original letter that I sent to the family...I left a voice mail about the feelings he expressed in his email about Dad and told him that I was willing to explore that with him...I hear nothing...so you and I are alone-together again.

So where does all of this leave us? It leaves me torn...
I will speak and remember and heal...
I will pray that, at least some of them find their way to truth.
What will the outcomes looks like?
I believe that we will live healthier lives for this journey, be more mindful and real than the rest...but what will they miss?

I remember singing Broadway songs after dinner and having dad tell us to shut up because the news was on. Dad singing?...what a concept...Except for Jeremiah was a Bullfrog.

I love you,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment