Tuesday, July 28, 2015

vacation rant

Clare,

So, tonight my daughters decided to have a spat at the restaurant…
I took the oldest and left to avoid the continued embarrassment…
they are both critical and sensitive…
they criticize each other…
and yet are sensitive to each others' comments.
You cannot be offended when you are frequently offensive.

I don't get it.
Their father and I have always been respectful towards them and each other…
I think that's true.
But they criticize me because I'm not harsh and tough on the boys, particularly the youngest.
They think their criticisms will mold him…
no, they only anger and hurt him.
They talk to each other in a way that offends the other…
I don't know how to correct this pattern…
except to call them out and raise awareness.

I took a long walk after we got home. All I can think of is the young man I've been telling you about who has no real family…
and all he wants is to knit his broken family back together…
even if it means sacrificing opportunity.
Mine would sacrifice each other to gain opportunity for themselves.
That sounds harsh…
but it feels realistic right now.

I hate the fact that they have had the best of everything that I could give them…
my time, energy, love, attention, as well as "things"…
and all they can think of is themselves.
I don't get it.

I don't want another vacation until they can get along.

I called my older son and apologized for the circumstances that led up to his decision to stay home…
alone…
I think he's justified.
I wish I were there right now.

I love this island…
why do my kids have to be so tough?

Sorry for the rant…
It was a good day up until this evening…
I'll try to dwell on the positive.

Love and Light,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment