Monday, July 13, 2015

discernment

Clare,

I had a long talk with my Friend/friend about the fostering question. He was very good to speak with. He grew up in multiple foster homes, so he has a lot of personal insight. His advice was to ask myself, my family, and the young man some tough questions. He suggested I ask the young man to write a personal narrative, important experiences and their meaning to his life. He felt this would be a good way to gauge his readiness for family structure, and his expectations of family. This kid's a writer so he should be able to handle this. We talked about how it would impact my children and the young man. In the end he did not say, "no, absolutely not"…
it was more a process of discernment.
He asked a very good question though…
Are there other ways that I might better help this young man?
If I switch from being his counselor to being his mother, is that the best setting/circumstance for him?
I countered with the question, "If not us, who will give this young man a family?"
He is a 16 year old, black male in a county full of bigots.

Husband and I talked…
our biggest concern is that he will come her and our sons will introduce him to pot and potentially other substances.
What if he comes here and has bigger problems?
What if we mess up his life more than it is?

I am going to proceed, with caution.
I am going to talk with my kids about their attitudes around this.
I am going to speak with the group home he is living at.
and then I will re-evaluate.

I hope that you are having a wonderful day.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment