Tuesday, September 30, 2014

volunteer

I don't think I was courageous to ask the 8-year-old question. I think I was being oblivious.  I was seeing it as a way to explore who I thought I would be versus who I am.  I wasn't thinking of exactly what life was like when I was 8.  When I was 8 I started hanging around with a friend from school whose father told me once that he cared about me the first time he saw me, and if I ever needed help, I ever needed a home, I should come to them.

I remember I didn't react much outwardly, but my heart melted.  He didn't make this statement until I was a teen, but he was reflecting back to my 8-year-old self.

You are going to grow roots in Arizona.  You're going to need a desert house! Is there any way we can support this program?  Part of the current situation might be that you need to be there, as much as your sons.  And it was very wise of you to remind your husband that this is a different child with different experiences and expectations.

My middle child will be 30 this weekend. That will mean 3 of the 5 are definitely adults. I feel a bit old.  It  seemed weird today when I took that leap - most of them are in their 30's...

When my kids were homeschooled teenagers we did lots of lessons and lots of volunteer work.  We worked in a soup kitchen once a week for four years. We met amazing community activists, we met the people who needed our services.  We ate with them sometimes.  We learned how the community pitched together, to glean, who cared about the hungry.  We learned how politics affects people's lives.  Welfare cuts meant we had children coming for meals for the first time.

We felt poor much of the time, but helping some of these people taught us that we weren't poor.

We helped build homes, we volunteered for the library, we volunteered at the SPCA. Friend's youth activities, and especially AVP were a godsend.

There are so many ways he can be of service and seethe world differently.  Be creative mama!

Spent time on my paper tonight, and must sleeeeeeep now.  5:00am always comes so darned early!

I love you, Maggie!!

Hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment