Thursday, September 18, 2014

seeing women

Stop expanding the boobs. I think your body is saying "Enough, absolutely enough!"

My eldest went to her doc for a regular check up.  Since she is high risk for breast cancer, her doc is going to try to get my daughter's insurance to cover genetic testing.  She told her doc that you would be willing to talk to her, if necessary. I agreed that you would...so would you???

I was interrupted mid-thought last night.  When my kid goes to pick up her cousin, I get left with a sleeping baby.  The baby hears her Mama's car leave and generally wakes up.  Sigh...

I do love being the grandmother.  My other-coast grandkids miss me as much as I miss them, I have heard.  Another sigh...

The next point I was thinking about last night was the under-reported incidence of suicide among women and minorities. I remember talking to a friend who is an archivist about tracing our family history once. She said that the Irish were treated like dogs when they first immigrated.  And so it is often impossible to find records of Irish ancestors. They papers were not valuable enough to keep.  I think women and minorities are still treated that way.

I read something else about the way gay men were treated in the Victorian and Edwardian and Civil War eras.  It was not nice. But women were never mistreated. Because women without men were sexless and worthless. Two maiden aunts living together did so because there was not anything better for them, i.e. a man.

I think maybe suicide reports are like that.  Women aren't seen as being strong enough to kill themselves.

But I was very  surprised to find that white men were the largest population to commit suicide...

Had an interesting day learning about hedge funds and fungicides...each day is an adventure.

I have gotten behind on my homework, need to advertise an  upcoming contradance (Wanna come up and dance?) and I am making vegan soups for a small festival this weekend.  And I'm tired. Maybe it's just an complaining kind of day!

This is sacred space.  You get to vent and complain if you need to.  It is all lovingly recognized and acknowledged.

With love...

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment