Thursday, September 4, 2014

understanding violence

Hello Missing Sister Who Will Read This When You Return,

My neighbor visited last night, but instead of reading the cards, she taught me a new card game.  That was relaxing!

S#3 called and asked me if I would like to attend S#4's 50th birthday party with her next month.  She said you and S#5 and her husband would all be there.  I haven't committed, but I think I will. I am having a little of the family avoidance reaction, but I'm recognizing it and feeling it, and it's not as bad as usual.  I'm not sure if I'm getting healthier, or if it's because it will be just the girls...

It is hard to imagine she will be 50.  It's hard to imagine I am over 50 sometimes. 

I have been asked to join a community group that addresses local food issues as well as  community health issues, including exercise opportunities.  I think I will try it out. I am looking forward to meeting some new people. And I do care about food issues - hunger and nutrition and local foods.

And I just started a new course through Coursera.  I was really looking forward to it, but I feel a bit of trepidation.  The name of the course is Understanding Violence.  There was an initial video warning us that we may react strongly to some of the course material, especially if we have ever experienced violence.  They recommend we skip those sections.

I started reading the first abstract and already I am overwhelmed.  They are defining violence as coming from humans.  It reminded me of AVP work, trying to identify and define violence. It is very difficlt.

And the list of possible types of violence, levels of violence - it is a long list. And...I don't know.  I think I will be able to handle this, but I think it will be intense.  I think a lot of my upcoming thoughts will center around this issue. And so I am going to go continue reading, then thinking about this subject.

I hope you are thriving in the desert.  I think of you often.

Love from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment