Sunday, July 29, 2012

What color is obedience?

I have been working two or three weekends a month for the past two months, trying to get ahead.  The bills are paid through the end of August, but I still don't have the money for my bus ticket.  Could you lend me that?  I will ask off line...but I am trying to model vulnerability, and avoid the feelings of helplessness. Not totally successful, but I'm still standing.   I loved your I would love to answer, though.  Thank you for that.

The strings inspired me to think of Gulliver's Travels, when the little people have Gulliver staked down on the beach with threads.  Another use of threads, I suppose.  I think I have a bit of that...allowing the threads, those continually connecting repeating threads, to tie me down, to paralyze me.  The problem is identifying them, sometimes.  The mis-messages are such a part of our heritage and our family pattern that they seem real and logical and true.  I have identified some of them.  I notice others, I know they are there, but haven't quite named them.  But I think there are still some lurking inside my consciousness, polluting my world view, hiding in plain sight

I read something years ago that talked of the coming evolution, the changes we have ahead of us, as a species.  It mentioned that as long as we don't accept each other, as long as we reject each other based on perceived differences, we aren't going anywhere.  So not only do we have to see humans of all nationalities and races as part of us, but we must also see people of all classes and mental capabilities as part of us.  I met a man who was a Plowshares activist.  These activists symbolically destroy military equipment and wait to be arrested.  They use their trial as a forum to make public statements.  While he served his prison time,  he said he tried to serve those who fall through the cracks.  Just as we let people fall through the cracks in general society, so is it mirrored in prison society.  I thought of the homeless, the hungry, the toothless, the people we just don't see in our daily lives.  They are there, we don't see them.

I really appreciated the image of the prism.  And we do have to be as one to be bright and clear together.  This makes me consider the Quaker understanding of the Light that shines in all.  I knew it shined on us/for us.  I never thought about us shining back.

I don't think I have forgotten that we are animals.  And my interactions with the animals that have lived with me reminds me that I prefer to be aware of my instinctual nature.  We are tamed and domesticated.  It's funny, when I was talking to my friend on Friday, she also mentioned Women Who Run With the Wolves. also recommending this book.  She talked about a chapter that describes the way women are domesticated into homeworkers and the effect on her life.  We buy into being tamed.  Over and over I see, think, recognize, we are tamed because we cooperate.  We need to stop being so obedient.

What color do you think the obedience thread is?

Like and love...I remember realizing that my ex truly loved me, but he really didn't like me.  I was so different, that he didn't get it.  Liking is great, both together is so important.

Like,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment