Friday, July 20, 2012

Preparations...and more preparations

So who else isn't going to the family event?

It's funny, I thought I would regret not going, feel guilty about missing it. I am very OK with not going.

I spent the day at Johns Hopkins Hosp. yesterday. A woman I know from Meeting needed to have pre-surgical testing and her husband just had surgery a few weeks ago. I was reluctant to go because I don't know her very well. Her husband and I have talked alot, he is a wonderful pianist, so I happily helped him. I had such a wonderful day. She was so easy to talk with. We shared stories about our lives and experiences. She also had an incredible patience about her. The original plan was a physical exam, CT scan and blood work and then back home. That changed fairly early in the process, they decided to admit her. She never showed any distress or frustration despite having her plans and expectations changed. We finally got to admissions about 4 and were told that the bed she had been assigned was still being used. The patient had been discharged, but not yet picked up, but it wouldn't be too long. Well at 9 pm the patient was not yet picked up and she was still calm and positive. I left her because I had a 3 hour drive ahead, and she was content to just wait for her room. Her patience left a big impression on me.

The lack of clarity between the water and air in that swamp picture fascinates me. How do we tell the difference? The only way to know is to experience it...we can't look from afar or it is just an illusion. Maybe that's how life is...we can't understand anyone else's experiences or our own unless we are willing to walk into it. I feel as if I am on the verge of more memory...it's a strange calm and settling. I am not sure why I feel this way, but there is a sense.

I remember going to the folk festival with you...your yearly activity. I hope that you can enjoy some of the activities and music this weekend.

I am gathering today...planning, packing, checking...making sure that we have everything we need for next week. I believe that we are going to have a good time. I will take my laptop along so that I can keep in touch.

Enjoy your day,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment