Sunday, July 8, 2012

ever consider hypnosis?

Dear Clare,

I'm back, we had some "forced family fun"...we are all tired, but smiling again. We participated in a 5K race where they throw colored powder on the runners every mile or so. By the end we were covered with color and happy. It was really good to laugh and be silly.

So there is another alternative to how we handle the aftermath of a crisis.
We could continue to rehash the crisis...and never move on.
We can shut down and pretend it never happened...and never really move ahead in a meaningful way. But, what if we, as a family would actually discuss openly the issues, using our strengths to help members who might need some support and allowing others to help us in our weaknesses?
I think that's what normal people/families do. I believe that the concept of family is all about support and nurturing. This avenue actually leads to growth. This is the road that you and I are traveling together and, as you have said before, the others will hopefully follow in the future...or maybe they will live in denial and memory lapse land for the remainder of their lives.

I have wondered if I ever got "the belt". I remember being deathly afraid of it. I remember using the threat when she couldn't handle what was going on in the house. I just can't remember if I ever was ever the victim of it or if I vicariously suffered the trauma of it. It is sad that our parents resorted to violence and threats instead of reasoning and talking to us. It is sometimes so frustrating to have my kids repeat unacceptable behaviors that we have discussed and agreed were wrong...but as they get older I realize how much of it sank in...without pain.

You talked about having a psychic reveal the past...I have often considered hypnosis to open those doors for me. I have always backed away from it from the fear of what might be uncovered. As I consider it now I wonder if I am strong enough to handle to contents all of my memories. As a resident I was given the opportunity to learn hypnosis, but you had to have a partner who also wanted to learn. I couldn't find a partner to work with. Looking back now, I probably could have decompensated if any of this came out without the preparation that we've done.

So, I hope that you are having a wonderful weekend, staying cool and out of the heat.
I love you,
Maggie


No comments:

Post a Comment