Thursday, July 19, 2012

Missing Another Family Event

I think vacation prep must have taken over your life!  Here it is festival fever.  Our annual music and dance fest starts tonight.  I have to work tomorrow, so I'm not going out tonight.  I will have grandchildren here tonight so their parents can camp on the festival grounds overnight.  They can stay late to see an old favorite.  It's actually an old favorite of Dad's.  Somehow they have all come to admire the singers he liked.  I can see it through their eyes.  When the singers were Dad's favorites, I avoided them on principal.

I rewatched the Brene lectures again last night.  Know what I noticed?  In the swamp pictures I can't exactly tell where the water line is.  The reflection is so perfect that the image continues up into the sky and down into the muck.  Made me think of, "As above, so below."  It's just that above is clear and clean, and below traps us, keeps us running/sloshing in place, getting deeper into the slime - unless we stop struggling.  Maybe then we have the best chance of floating. 

The universe is so poetic when we take the time to see what it offers.

The family wedding is tomorrow.  The relatives are gathering - all but three of the girls.  I never know how I feel about going or about missing these events.  When I left for Mom and Dad's fiftieth anniversary party, I was ambivalent.  That was a new moon, dark night which was why I did not see two deer standing in the middle of my lane until the last minute.  I hit both of them and really destroyed the front of my car.  After the shock of hurting two animals past, then the uh-oh of car damage, I realized I did want to go.  But if I had gone, I would never have had made that realization.  I was the only one who missed that event.  I think the last time we were all together was about 16 years ago, when everyone made it to Mom and Dad's the same summer.  I don't remember any special celebration.

I think this just happens in our family...or maybe in modern families.  Or maybe in big families.  It just gets harder and harder to get everyone in one place at one time.  I only remember Dad being with all of his siblings once.  I don't ever remember it happening for Mom.

Grandchildren are here and sleeping, and I am exhausted. Hope all is well with you!

G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment