Sunday, July 22, 2012

Think Big Bird

Yeah, uh...the feathered turtle was yellow, like Big Bird.  Probably means something.  And, mourning dove update...the day after I set it free, I found a feather just outside the gate.  I took that as a thank you.  Now there is a pair living in my garden - for the first time since I lived here.

Remember when Mom brought the movie camera?  You "little girls" were swimming in the creek next to the camping site, and Mom told you to "Be graceful!" and you all assumed you were little ballerinas doing Swan Lake - Swan Creek, maybe.  It was very cute.  I also remember climbing rocks - that area has such impressive rocks - probably pushed there by the glaciers.  I remember fishing for brook trout with Dad.  That may have been one of the only things we did together.  And remember - each pair had a pup tent.  So Mom and Dad had a large tent which was surrounded by our little green tents.  And there was a choice - We could put up the tent and two of us could sleep there, or we could each take our half and make a   hammock.  I never shared a tent with a sib - I did get the dog, though (which was probably my preference!) so I never had to compromise.

The wedding pictures are beautiful, of course.  We are a handsome family.  The picture that caught me was on B#3 sitting with his grandson on his lap.  I could almost, but not quite, see the little boy.  I wonder how much of our childhood self is still in us, and how much we have shed - or hidden.  Some parts of me are ageless.  Some parts of me are gone, or buried, or just under the water level of the swamp!

I haven't walked yet today.  I have been cleaning house.  I know I need to be outside.  It is important for my psyche, but I put off taking care of myself.  This is definitely an ongoing problem.  I don't know how to prioritize.  I will always take care of others before I take care of me...still waiting to be acknowledged as a good girl, maybe.  Still waiting to me noticed.

What did the ocean have to say?

No comments:

Post a Comment