Sunday, June 2, 2013

together

low blogging activity this weekend, because sisters spent the weekend together.  we had a chance to talk and talk, then talk some more.  we were able to stay up late--ish (for me!) over a bottle of the local reisling.

it was good to connect, to look at her, to see her, to notice how she has changed.  my sister is kinder, more laid back, gentler than i have ever seen.  she has always been friendly, intelligent, willing to help anyone, but there is a settled spirit now, a faith, a patience.

i was grateful to have her, as we had a surprise guest.  my son called to ask if he could bring his new girlfriend for brunch.  my haphazard, one-handed housecleaning is okay for family, but i panicked a little and saw our mess through new eyes.  my sister took a two handed lead in preparing food and cleaning up.

of all the things we revisited, i think what left me with the most to consider is a discussion we had about circumcision.  i found a more ancient definition, a spiritual purification.  my sister described a circumcision of the heart as purposely opening or removing the armor around the heart.  it is about being joined, being in the flow, being vulnerable.  i understood.

i think maybe we need two words - circumcision for the spiritual meaning and amputation for the physical act.

and i was able to share some of my insights, to test some of my ideas.  i was heard.  it was a gift.

she is driving home.  i send prayers for safe travel.

and i send lots of love,

clare

No comments:

Post a Comment