Sunday, June 16, 2013

Altruism

What is the difference between altruism and sacrifice or martyrdom?  I stopped to look for some definitions.  Altruism is a sacrifice for a higher purpose, a sacrifice of time, energy or possessions.  Hmmmm...so they define each other, except that sacrifice was swallowed by patriarchal religion and vomited back up as blood sacrifice. One must kill something to make a holy offering to the gods. Interesting.

There is a huge difference between sacrificing oneself and being sacrificed.  This is the most basic point, and most important to remember, I think.  And do we sacrifice to placate?  I don't think I do.  I think I sacrifice to try to make life better for this generation...But I'm not trying to soothe anyone, or to answer demands.

I don't think it will be hard to find victims.  Running a list through my head, I identified a huge number of people we could talk to.  And maybe we could circulate some questionnaires via the internet.  I have some ideas of how we could construct them, but we need your expertise to identify the information we need.

I think replies to questionnaires would lead to individuals who might be willing to be interviewed in more depth.

I have been doing one page of the Course in Miracles every night.  So far, I don't quite understand, but I'm being faithful, and waiting to be surprised!

I had grandchildren here last weekend.  We made pancakes for breakfast.  Little drips of batter hit the pan, and cooked quickly as I spooned batter into the pan.  I offered them to my grandson,who was helping.  I had a flashback of Dad doing the same thing, giving us the pancake "boo-boos".  Sweet little memory.  It's Father's Day, and for some reason, my mind went to music, to Dad singing Joy to the World in the early morning quiet when we were camping.

Hope you are having a nice Fathers' Day celebration at your house. My youngest actually wished me a Happy Fathers' Day in recognition of my roles as both mommy and daddy.  Kind of nice!

Now typing with right hand and left index finger. Getting a bit stronger every day.

Love to you,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment