Thursday, June 6, 2013

Insights...fighting for scraps of scarcity.

Hello Claire,

I have been thinking about last evening's activities today. I spent my evening at a church who hosts homeless families for a program named "Family Promise" and helps them get back on stable ground. I mat a man about my age, with a 15 year old son who were well spoken, and optimistic. I met a young family, with 2 young kids (2 & 1 year old), while neither the father or mother seemed to have a great deal of formal education, the man talked for 2 and a half hours about history and faiths practices and psychology, and many other topics. We explored so many topics it is hard to remember them all. This man was in his early 20's, and is trying to go to school for IT/soft wear development. He will have difficulty getting into a school because he is homeless, but I believe that the family promise program will help him.

We talked about the underlying distrust between races, ethnicities, religions, countries, etc. He was quite insightful...talking about the role that education plays in establishing those prejudices and false beliefs. He proud spoke of influential historical African people throughout history and the world...claiming them as his own. We talked a long time about the importance of connection and opening to each other...vulnerability.

This morning I was musing on the word connection...
and then my mind moved to disconnect, distrust, disintegrate, disenfranchise, disguise, disrespect, dissociate, disappear...
When someone claims that they were "dis-ed"...it carries a lot of negative energy.

But now I am finding the word "discover"...perhaps that's the antidote to this negativity...discover the commonalities...discover the untruth that we have been led to believe was true...that we are too different to get along, so we fight for scraps of scarcity when all the while the universe offers abundance...but we have been taught to distrust the earth and the universe as capable providers of our basic needs.

So back to the people who were guests of family promise. I did not ask them to share their stories of homelessness...but am admittedly curious. I enjoyed getting to know their strengths and insights, and at the time their problems did not seem important. I do wonder if they wanted to tell that part of their story though...I am not sure.

Anyway, I have to get back to work...
Love and Light,
Maggie



No comments:

Post a Comment