Monday, June 24, 2013

Simple Pleasures

So, today was a typical summer day...
I decided to put in a shade garden where some trees have become so dense that the grass no longer grows. It was actually more like extending an existing garden. I moved some rocks for the border and went to the nursery and chose some shade plants. I love looking at all of the plants, I know a lot of their names by sight...but there are still some that I have never seen before. I picked some Lady's Mantle today. I have never grown those before so I can't wait to see what they are like.

I also went to (another) baseball game, sat in the shade and just enjoyed watching it. I sat with the opposing team because our team has been increasingly frustrated as the season goes. I had a great time just hanging in the shade.

Simple Pleasures...are so good.

Daughter #2 is in a play right now...it's a little irreverent and inappropriate...but funny. They are doing Reefer Madness. I am a little nervous having son#1 see it...it may be a little too personal...or make his recent predicament seem funny or ridiculous. Anyway, it is what it is.

Have you ever read Liberty Hyde Bailey? He was an author who wrote about environmental concerns in the 20's - 50's. He was from Ithaca, taught at Cornell, and his writing is fascinating. This morning I was skimming his Holy Earth and he wrote about the violence that humans perpetrate upon the earth. I will find the passage and share it with you tomorrow...I am too tired to walk upstairs and look for it right now. Anyway, if you are familiar with him, was he a Quaker? I have only seen mention of his Puritan father, but not of his faith practice. I am just curious.

My brain is fried tonight...luckily my skin is not after today.
I will check in with you tomorrow.

Blessings,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment