Friday, June 21, 2013

nonviolence to break the cycle

The cicadas are humming a beautiful sound. This species does not have the harsh buzzing of most years. It is a constant melodious humming. I have been working outside all day, mulching and mowing, and enjoying the cicadas. Two friends came by to pick up their children and both looked puzzled as they got out of their cars, "what's that sound?" they both asked. I didn't realize that they don't hear this even 3 miles away in town. What a treat for me.

I have not overlooked your ideas on arming oneself.
I have said to my sons several times that the government is no longer, "of the people, for the people, and by the people", it is being run by corporations whose motives are profit and power. Once citizens come to realize this they will see a need for change, demand change, create real change...not just offer the rhetoric to appease those already aware. I have said to them that there will inevitably be a revolution. And when I read your words I was struck. I had heard a piece on NPR about the surveillance issues and a comparison to Germany prior to WWII. We are complacent, sitting ducks. We mind our own business, as long as we have enough. When things get tight the government throws a bone to appease us...instead of real change. I still do believe in nonviolent revolution though. Having weapons simply makes the "other" get bigger and more lethal weapons...I just cannot buy into the NRA's philosophy of people needing to protect themselves from the enemy...it's a fear tactic and fear is never a good motivator.

To stop the cycle of violence we need to break the cycle...break the silence...make others aware of the issues...whatever the level of violence.

So for the interviews,
I was thinking we could try to get an idea of the difference in motivations of survivors versus survivor/perpetrators. Some people experience violence and learn to never repeat that behavior...they know it is wrong, recognize it as unhealthy. Others experience abuse and learn the patterns, later using the same tactics to deal with stressful situations in their lives. They may see it as a tool to be used when necessary. What is the difference? Where does the awareness come from? Is it a question of resilience? Is it a question of external teaching or divine intervention?

I was thinking as I worked outside today about my research findings and our family. The stats show that abused people are less likely to show signs/be diagnosed with a food allergy if they experience childhood adversity but those who do have food allergy develop it at a later age depending upon the number of different types of abuse/neglect, frequency, duration and severity of the abuse. There is also an increase in food allergy in the offspring of people who have adverse experiences. So, at what age did B#2 develop food allergy? I am curious because if it was young (less than 2) then there is a chance that he was spared abuse...I am not sure that this study has the ability to predict that type of information.

I have to run to pick up a car.
Love and Light,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment