Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer day

Happy Summer!  It is a beautiful day here.  I took a five mile walk this morning, and noticed the plants and the lake and I found a perfect feather.  I'm not sure if it was raven or vulture, but when I picked it up I heard the word dream.  S#3 and I have a dream...if one of us hits the lotto, we're going to walk the Camino del Santiago.  Anyone is invited to come.  Wanna walk???  So I dreamed of many things, thought of possibilities.  I need to go back out with my herb basket later tonight - when it is cooler.  And tomorrow I am going to put our baby-girl in her stroller and walk to the softball game.  Training for the camino has begun!!

I was not thinking in terms of arming myself.  I don't want to be part of that.  I was rethinking my opinion about the gun laws and gun control and the Second Amendment.  I have begun to see deeper issues, which has led to some discomfort as I consider my position.  A few years ago I thought about this, about protecting ourselves.  I could imagine a gun/ammo escalation in the neighborhood, and understanding that even if we bought every bullet, every shell we could locate, someone might have one more.  It was crazy - in my mind I could see the escalation.  I stepped back and realized the strongest defense is a strong neighborhood - not being alone, with your stuff.

We need clarity and transparency.  That is why the recent spate of whistleblowers are our heroes, leading the way to transparency.  And I completely agree that with transparency, people are intelligent - we will know what to do.  First step is identifying and listening to independent media.  Also, don't spend money that will support any corporation.  I have been boycotting Nestle since 1981.  It's now part of Monsanto, and so it was easy to expand that.  And I do not even walk into WalMart.  I watched The High Cost of Low Prices, and never went in again.  We have the power.

We went to the Amish market this week, and passed a man with a sprayer on his back, treating the soil around his mail box.  I said, out loud,  "He's poisoning the Earth."  In my mind, I labeled him as lazy.  What is so hard about pulling a few weeds?  Then I went further and thought - we need a law whereby only the applier of the poison may be affected by their choice.  If their poison gets into my water, air, food, body - they are liable.

I have often wondered about the question you raised.  Why do some people who are abused go on to abuse others, while some would never do so.  That might be another project - it's an immense question.  But I think we can get glimmers...

I don't know exactly when B#2 developed food allergies.  All of my life I remember him with eczema on the arms and legs, allergic to foods, pollen, dander.  I remember him being hospitalized with lung problems from the beginning.  I think he was sexually abused, because he was one of the prime offenders against you and S#3.  But maybe it progressed differently because of his asthma and allergies.  The pain of rape can make people gasp.  Was that the beginning of his inability to breathe?  Just speculating...not accusing.

I am sure you heard the family news - B#4 had a tumor removed this week.  Waiting for results...I feel like I am very calmly holding my breath...

Enjoy your day!!

Love from Clare



 




No comments:

Post a Comment