Sunday, March 31, 2013

holy day

I am not Biblical.  I tend to shy from reading scripture.  So I think my attitude would be much like yours.  I had a much more spiritual moment yesterday, on my knees in the mud uncovering the daffodils.  That was rebirth and the promise of the future.

I was talking about the Easter story with someone.  We were analyzing the way the date is set for Easter each year, and the relationship of Easter and Passover.  Suddenly I realized, for the first time, that public executions were part of the Passover celebration.  We celebrate our deliverance from death by killing others?

The violence hit me really hard...So much of our religious history is steeped in this violence.  I have such a hard time working with, believing in, participating in, belonging to any religion...

We had a holy day because it was my grandson's third birthday.  We had chocolate and brunch and jelly beans and birthday cake, and sugared up kids.  Of course it was not holy because of this, but because of the miracle that is this little boy!

I got to spend time with 4 of my kids.  I miss the west coast family so much...It's the end of a long day.  More tomorrow!

Love you,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment