Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Empower

I don't think empowering women equates with disempowering men or anyone else.  I think I mentioned my latest train of thought - that there are two types of humans.  We may look alike, but there is a difference.  We are either competitors or cooperators.  I do think men and women are very different - I read somewhere that we are almost two separate subspecies.  We think differently, we communicate differently.  Our community, our society, our families are strongest and most moral and led most correctly when both visions are respected and listened to - equally.  But it's not going to happen just because I notice this truth.  Men have to realize the oppression of their position in society - they are oppressed, their feelings and emotions are denied and they are forced to work alone which is painful for someone who is tribal.  They are not in a healthy place.  They also need to see the results of this system and the impact it has on women, who are treated as of lesser value.  Women must do the same and truly see the system.  Then either men have to let women in or the whole power structure has to change.

And when I say men have to let women in, I do not mean that we get to have leadership positions when we act like them.  We need to welcome the female vision, and let it work with, direct, make an impact on the male vision of leadership we have now.

But I do want to see them and us.  I like some men, and understanding the way they see the world.  It gives me something different to base my interpretations of the world on.  I have a broader understanding.

I also spent a lot of time thinking about chastity.  I understood what you wrote about the Quaker interpretation.  But it doesn't sit easily with me.  I looked at the etymology of the word chaste and found it is related to the words incest and caste.  I think there are some words that have been pressed into religious books, but the source was not divine.  I am beginning to think chaste/chastity is a good example. 

Just had a long talk with someone about cancer last night.  So the issue is on my mind.  As is the hospitalization of S#3 early this week.  I started to worry about her, but about many of us.

I miss you!

Love, Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment