Friday, December 7, 2012

We're veal

Your last post inspired me to think about parasitism.  Or it planted the seed for seeing some of my life in terms of parasitism.  I was thinking about cheese.  I don't drink milk, but we occasionally eat cheese or yogurt.  I realize that if I eat any of these products, then I am the reason calves are taken from their mothers and tied to tiny little, lonely cages to languish until they're big enough to slaughter.  We don't see them as babies.  We don't see mammalian love.  We only see a product.  That baby is anemic, sick meat - a delicacy.  And the mama is a source of money. 

I wondered why we didn't see this.  And it hit me - hard.  If we see it there, we may have to face the pain of recognizing we are being treated exactly the same way.  Our infants are also separated from their mothers and institutionalized at six weeks old.  Mama is just a product, and the baby is a future product.  The necessity of the bond is not recognized.  We are seen only as products.

How painful is that?

It's been a long week, I'm tired and I am trying to decipher a knitting pattern.  I'll be back - later.

Love you,  C.

No comments:

Post a Comment