Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy Christmas, Wynn Helig

Clare,

For some reason I woke up with this song in my head...and it was the unfortunate lyrics of There is no peace on earth I said..for hate is strong and it mocks the song of peace on earth good will to men.


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), 1867

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said,
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men."

Till, ringing singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,
Of peace on earth, good will to men!


I am sure that there is a caste system here as well...
and the disturbing concept that is wrapped up in that system is this...
The poor suffer here so they have their ticket to heaven if they endure in silence,
the rich need the poor for charitable works so they can earn their way into heaven.

Don't think that I am agreeing with this concept...only sharing it.

We will never find peace until we recognize that we cannot control anyone besides our self.
The power and control that we impose upon others...
by abuse or sanctions or war or any number of fear based activities...
is maintaining our disconnect.
Last week, after the school shootings I searched for a quote to describe my sadness...
and I found words from Mother Theresa,

" If we have no peace it is because we have forgotten that we belong to one another."

We all are intimately joined at the level of the collective consciousness...the level of the soul...I envision one complete soul...not billions of separate souls...that we either 'tap into' or distance ourselves from it. Intimacy (not sexual) is the scariest thing for us humans...and yet it is the path to peace

As for the connection to family...I appreciate what you are saying...but cannot find those same feelings in my heart.
I long to belong...
but realize that I have never really belonged to the Delana culture.
I learned great lessons from them. I feel as if I have also taught them lessons along the way. Your example of B#1 trying to convert you to a "Christian" is a perfect example...
you can rejoin the fold, if you change who you are and become one of us.
I was given the gift of my own uniqueness by the divine...the greatest 'sin' I could ever commit would be to deny my true self. If living a radical truth like that means that I have no 'kin' I choose to be myself. I have struggled with this for a long time.
I used to cry because the only time my siblings talked to me was to borrow...
I remember telling Mom once that they don't care about me...
just my ability to help them out of a tight spot.
I loved helping and giving, not expecting repayment...
I truly believe in the idea of 'pay it forward'...
I just wanted them to love and accept me as Maggie...
and share good times as well as hardship...not have to buy their attention. 
As I was looking for the earlier quote I found another that seems appropriate for this entry, also be Mother Theresa,

"We think that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty."

I don't believe in heaven or hell as a destination...
I believe that they are states of mind.
The disconnect that pervades our world is hell...
it is the separation of our mind and body from the soul.
I have had glimpses of heaven...
moments when I have been connected to that collective soul...
they are indescribable moments that have transformed my thinking.

So to go back to the beginning of this post...
I long to belong to the Collective not to the Delana clan...
I am forever grateful for their lessons...
I wish them peace and love...
I hope that they can find the courage to allow Light to enter their corners of darkness...
and I will be forever connected through the Collective.

The song above ends with hope...
but interestingly enough I have not heard this song played on the radio once this season...
that makes me sad.

I did get my nap...it was wonderful.
Today I make sweet rolls...
Grammy's recipe...there is a connection there...
and look forward to an hour or so tonight in a candle lit Meeting house...
and then Church with my family.

I wish you all of the love and peace this world offers. I cherish the gift that you give me here, day in and day out...your truth...insight...wisdom...love...and acceptance of Maggie - just the way she is! I love you. And know that I offer you all of the same, to the best of my ability.

Blessings to you and your beautiful family,
Maggie




 


No comments:

Post a Comment