Tuesday, December 18, 2012

acting on intuition

Clare,
If you are moved to write, then write.
I am editing a paper that I have written about the link between stress and disease...
looking from a holistic (bio-psycho social spiritual) perspective.
I am afraid to submit it for publication, even though I recognize that it is timely and necessary.
I keep telling myself that I need a co-author, with a PhD, to legitimize it in the Social Work Journals...
The truth is that I am frightened to stand alone.
Like Brene Brown when she said that she flew just under the radar and was comfortable.
I don't expect kudos...but I am afraid of the possibilities.
 
I reached out to an influential woman yesterday, and asked her for guidance.
I have never met her, but my professor told me that I should make a connection.
It was uncomfortable, but I received the most gracious letter asking when we could meet to discuss my future plans...it felt good.
I am also sending a letter tomorrow to the director of a child protection agency...
telling him my credentials, experiences and interests...
asking if he can use my services at his agency...
it would be an opportunity to connect the medical, biology and social work.
I heard him on NPR describing his work and felt compelled to reach out.
I know that whatever happens is the opening that I am waiting for.
 
I guess what I am saying is that we can have all of the good intentions...
even those that will change the world.
If we fail to act on the intuitions then we fail to achieve the good that was being channeled.
 
So I will use my "cake frosting" method as usual...
I say the hardest stuff first ...like plopping the frosting on top of the cake...
then I explain what I mean...smoothing it across the top and over the sides.
If I say the tough stuff, then I don't stop myself from fear, or 'sugar coat' my words and ultimately fail to communicate what it is that I want to say.
I will send the letter tomorrow morning, before I second guess myself.
I will complete my edits and submit my article for publication.
And then I'll have a breakdown waiting for the responses...
 
I love you.
I will check in tomorrow...
Maggie
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment