Thursday, December 6, 2012

Exquisitely simple - I love that phrase!

I loved the way you tied what is going on inside of us with what is happening in the world around us.  It reminds me that we are part of the whole.  I am reading a book about mosses, and the writer describes what happens in moss patches by comparing it to the way various species of trees interact in the forest.  We can find the same patterns over and over - which makes sense because the pattern is successful.

You say it could be exquisitely simple, and I love the elegance of that line!  But I propose that it could be an elegantly simple first step that must be paired with a second step.

I was part of an herbal study group.  Someone posed a question about metabolism which led me right into the thyroid.  I learned that trauma affects the thyroid, either turning it up too high, or almost turning it off.  The trauma changes us physically and emotionally.  Once someone has been diagnosed with a hypothyroid or hyperthyroid condition, medicines can be prescribed to bring the gland to a normal state.  But nothing changes until the person also gets counseling, or otherwise deals with the initial trauma.  I remember being so impressed with how intimately our bodies and our psyches are connected. 

So, perhaps a simple sugar could change the receptors of the protein membrane, but I aver that we still have to walk through the swamp.  We still have to feel the pain, and understand what happened to us.  I am coming to believe more and more every day that if it is not experiential, it is not authentic. 

Reading your line about parasitism struck a chord.  I suddenly realized that a parasite absorbs another's energy for itself.  In community, we share energy.  The act of passing it along changes everything...

And one last thought.  The words common and community seem to be from the same root.  To be in community is to have experiences, gifts, understandings in common.  We share.

I am end of the week tired, but I am adoring your energy and enthusiasm.  You make me smile!

I love you, 

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment