Sunday, October 4, 2015

Fun Family

I worry sometimes that we don't spend enough time together as a family...I mean, I worry in general, but specifically about my children and their families.

But we get together, like tonight, and I am left with sweet feelings.  I have so many snapshots in my head to treasure.  Uncles playing with kids, kids being passed around the table, conversations.

They are all so beautiful.  I am so grateful, for each of them.

Tonight, we had a German themed dinner, as chosen by the birthday boy.  I made a lettuce with hot bacon dressing salad - yeah, I know. I don't eat bacon, but...I was thinking about it, and these kids are the fifth known generation to eat this recipe.

I made it for my mother-in-law's mother once.  She was my favorite person in the extended in-law family.  I loved her so much.  She asked how I had learned to make it, and then told me that she had made the same dish the very first time my father-in-law came to her house for dinner, when he was first dating my mother-in-law.

I like tying a family together through history through foods.

I had my son's two kids here overnight. They helped me pick apples that we used to make an apple streudel.  My daughter-in-law called to check in and to see if they wanted to come home for a few hours.  They both said no, but then my granddaughter realized it was Sunday and she had homework to do.  So she went home for a few hours, and the boy stayed with me.  So he rolled a streudel. It was so much fun having him...

So, nice day.  No phones at the table - and it's not even a rule.  Everyone was just here.  Simply present.

I am grateful.

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment