Tuesday, July 8, 2014

yeah, not that girl...

Hi Maggie,

So I was having a discussion with someone from another culture.  We were talking about ironing.  She said that in a previous similar discussion, the group decided the dividing line between those who iron and those who do not came down to jeans.

Do you iron your jeans?

Absolutely not!  Never!  Never - ever!!

Another question - do you iron the bed linens.

Again - No!

And it took me back to a moment when I was that girl.  I was doing laundry with my college sweetheart.  We lived together, but Mom and Dad never knew.  The would have freaked out and been a bit judgmental.  So, we were at the laundrymat, and I was pulling the sheets out of the dryer and folding them.  He looked at me with a quizzical expression and told me his mother always ironed the sheets.

 I don't think our mom ever ironed sheets.  I know I haven't.  And in that moment I was happy to be that girl, the girl who didn't iron sheets. That was also a turning point when I didn't think I was going to be good enough for his family.  At that moment, I started to believe we would never marry.

It's funny how one stray comment can change a life...

So I am exhausted, as usual this time of night.  I am going to turn in and leave you with lots of love,

I miss you,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment