Tuesday, November 11, 2014

simplicity

Hey Sister,

I think we are saying the same thing with different words. I understand about the edited memories. I think I have adjusted mine, at times, to make more sense. Guess that means we can't rely on my memory.

I have been off on another train of thought. I read an article once that said that parents have to remember to do one thing if they want to be connected to their children.  Researchers noted a difference in families where the parents smiled at their children when they first saw them - when they got up in the morning,when they picked them up from school, when they kids came home from being out.  All we have to do is smile.

It seems so simple, yet if my faulty memory serves, I did not do this often enough. I was to caught up in the drama in my head.

Yesterday I read an article about successful marriages.   Psychologists found one thing to look for when gauging the strength and durability of a marriage:  If one partner notices or comments on something, does the other partner engage? Does the partner stop and listen or take note.  Successful couples engage about 80% of the time. Couples who engaged 30% of the time - the relationships did not last.

It seems so simple. Be present and notice.  I oftne think the most powerful gift we can give anyone is - listening. If we take time to listen, then the other person, the one who needs to speak, if of value.

It all seems so simple. Yet we are so bruised and busy, we don't smile. We don't stop for a moment to share a thought, we don't listen.

My daughter has moved in with her boyfriend.  Life is different here.  I still have the baby when my daughter is at work. I treasure this time...but it's different.  Our nephew is still here.  we have been talking more.  And he has been a great help.  Yesterday was beautiful and so we got things ready for winter.  We put away the wading pool and the picnic table.  We cleared the mudroom so we could pile firewood there. Today we harvested a lot of Jerusalem artichokes.  I feel invigorated!

Almost ready for winter!!  How's the dog?

I hope all is well with you,

Love from Clare


No comments:

Post a Comment