Wednesday, November 12, 2014

listening is an act of love

Clare,

Connection is the key.
I have a book called Listening is an Act of Love,it's not a great book, but the title is important.
I have been presented with the lesson of listening many times over the past few months. I believe it is my current challenge- to master truly listening, with an open mind and heart. To hear another, without interjecting my own beliefs. I've been trying to do this, I've recognized the common thread of listening in many of the happenings of my life, but at times have to reflect back what the speaker is saying. Then, I cannot resist giving advice. I need to hold my tongue and let them work it out for themselves. I need to trust that they are aware enough to find the meaning or the way through.

I wonder what happens when we smile?
I'm sure it must trigger neurotransmitters that make us happier, more relaxed, maybe even open to the other person.
I'm not sure about being open to the other though. As I wrote that I had a thought of smiling at strangers as they pass. There are many times that I smile and make only the briefest eye contact and then look down again. I want them to know I am not a threat, but I don't want them to know me. I will have to watch that on my walks this week.

The dog is improving every day. She had a seizure Tuesday morning. I made sure that the injured leg was not trapped by anything that could place unnatural pressures onto the joint and make sure the cone wasn't choking her. Luckily it only lasted about 3 minutes. She has learned to go up and down a ramp to go into the yard, so I no longer have to carry her on the stairs. She is trying to run occasionally, so we have to keep her slowed down, by talking to her or I may have to leash her whenever we go out.

My gardens are almost ready for winter. Husband and son#1 have been busy on weekends, helping me to clean them up, cut off the perennials, trimming bushes, etc.

I have to start packing for my trip this weekend. I will be gone 11/15 - 11/23. I am not sure if I will be able to write during that time. I have to see if there's room to take my computer along.

Love and Light beautiful sister,
Maggie



No comments:

Post a Comment