Wednesday, November 12, 2014

redefine

It is so hard for most of us to resist giving advice.  Sometimes I think that stems from our own personal need to be heard.  A close friend just repeated a conversation she had with her daughter.  He daughter asked her to simply listen. When my friend started to pose solutions, her daughter reminded her - she was doing it again!  So my friend asked for constant reminders until she breaks the habit. She wants to learn to listen.

We have had a physical week. We winterized the yard, the next day we harvested Jerusalem artichokes, and today we moved about two and a half cords of wood. I am very tired. Hot shower and bed are in my immediate future.

I am reading Daring Greatly by Brene Brown.  A lot of it is the same thoughts she shares in the two TED talks that I have listened to incessantly.  I keep thinking something will spark a bit of wisdom for here, sharing with you...but by the time I get here, I am usually exhausted, and not thinking broadly or deeply...


I was more struck by the article I shared with you which said the level of prostitution has fallen in Sweden because they have decriminalized selling and criminalized buying sex.  They have redefined prostitution as male aggression and violence against women.  Reportedly, the number of  sex crimes against women and children has fallen.  And the amount of sex trafficking has really fallen.  I really like the idea of redefining crimes and even activities without our patriarchical cultural dictionary.

The coyotes are howling tonight...protesting the coming snow, perhaps...


Love and hugs,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment