Thursday, November 27, 2014

celebrate

Hapy Thanksgiving.

This is definitely my favorite holiday. There is so little stress, so little commercialization.

I made cranberry sauce last night.  I remembered the first time I made it when I was a newlywed.  I don't remember where I found the recipe.  Now I don't need a recipe. As I was making it, I felt my mother-in-law.  The first time I made it, I took it to her home for dinner. I remembered taking it to our parent's home, and S#4's first husband refused to even try it because it was not a round slice of     red stuff from a can.  I was sort of sliding through time, visiting Thanksgivings.

This morning I made limpa bread - the Swedish rye bread our grandmas made.  I mostly remember Grandma making it, but suddenly I saw Grammy's hand. I felt a connection through time.

At dinner tonight, I shared a little about what I learned about our family history.  There were questions, then the conversation morphed.  We had three generations.  We had connections.  I worry about us, but tonight we seemed fine.

I talked to my oldest son before I left.  They were having a happy day.  Someone from work was going to join them.

And, like you, I am full and I am tired.

I probably won't check back in until Sunday morning.  S#3 and her whole bunch - her daughter and the four kids - will be here tomorrow morning. My grandkids will also be here.  We are going to make cookies and decorations.  We did this last year and my house was loud, chaotic, full, and it was wonderful.  The kids all asked to do it again. They are going to leave on Sunday morning.

Keep smiling. Be thankful...

Love and hugs,

Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment