Tuesday, June 23, 2015

golden rule

I was sort of trying to figure out the ways people respond before therapy - those coping mechanisms that help us survive but not thrive.  I think we try to control or we let the currents control where we float.  Therapy, of course, changes everything.

I had another walking thought I wanted to try to make sense of.  When I was in the thick of marriage, my closest friend from college and I used to talk a lot. Neither of us had a healthy marriage.  We used to talk at great length, discussing their childhood traumas, speculating on how that pain motivated their pain-causing behaviors...just trying to understand.  Then I saw a quote that basically said we could talk forever and have the best analyzed neurotic on the block, but it would not change anything. 

For some reason, as I was walking, that came to me.  It came again today as I was talking to someone about martyrdom.  I sort of realized I analyze others, but immediately condemn self.  I got the message that we need to reverse the Golden Rule...at least for people like me. Rather than - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, perhaps I need to remember to - Do unto myself as I do unto others.  Treat myself kindly and with patience and acceptance.

Form your days' descriptions, it sounded like you were making and traveling a big old medicine wheel.

Picked cherries with the baby this evening.  We got home and she asked for some.  I gave her half a dozen in a little dish.  They are now somewhere in my office...

Love and hugs from Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment