Thursday, April 30, 2015

Weird ideas today

Clare,

I had a long discussion with a young woman who has been taught, too well, that she is not allowed to enjoy her body…or anyone else's for that matter.
Why wouldn't the whistle be for you?
It's not that you wanted it.
God knows it's not something we deserve.
But acknowledging our beauty and alive-ness is OK.

I did not need a full explanation of your need…but I do understand.
I guess what I don't understand is that your daughter is in a relationship and yet she asks you for assistance. Is her boyfriend unable or unwilling to help? that's a rhetorical question…
I guess what bothers me is that our young are not learning to rely on their significant other when parents are there to assist…
I see it in a lot of ways in my work.
Young people preferring to ask for parental support rather than admit their need…
even though the relationships are very close to married in many aspects.
Not having to admit weakness.
When do we trust each other rather than go to the parents who are safe.
Not having to ask forgoes the potential of being turned down/rejected by the other…
that's where the discussion has gone in the counseling room.
If this is coming across very preachy…
I'm sorry. It's not meant to be.

Love and Light,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment