Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Redefine it

Maybe we need to redefine family.  Or we need to expand the definition of family.  Or we have to consider that we really aren't family.  We have shared genetics - we all look alike.  We have shared history, sort of.  But so many of us have blocked so many memories, or rewritten them to make who we want to be fit, that we really don't have shared history.

I am your sister because - we have the same mother and father, because we shared the same womb.  I am your sister, and we shared the same home until I was 18, you were 12 or 13.

Other families have more.  We both want more.  But we want it to be authentic.  I don't know if we can be.  Hmmmm, we could, but I just don;t know if we will.

I'm going into family loser mode - the one who doesn't do anything right.  I'm feeling it.  I'm not sleeping, partly because of worry...

Stupid reason for checking in -- as the family genealogist, these family photos will be so valued by the nine different branches we have seeded.  And they'll need photo-proof of the crazy aunts.  We were real!

We can sit down with my young friend and interview her.  It will be a safe space for all three of us to react.  And it will be a good way to tidy up the questions.

Still thinking about the gaseous state of Light, now I have to define family!

Sleep well little sister...Lots of love...

Clare


No comments:

Post a Comment